Brian Bailey, founder of Bailey Law LLC, is a trusted advisor and problem-solver. Over the last sixteen years, Brian worked for an appellate judge and two governors as well as one of the largest law firms in Indiana.
At Ice Miller LLP, Brian represented and advised individual clients and businesses small and large, from startups to Fortune 500 companies. These matters involved trade secrets, contract disputes, covenants not to compete, appeals, injunctions, and the creation of contracts and other legal instruments. Brian handled cases in all levels of the state and federal court system, from local trial courts to the Supreme Court of the United States.
In 2010, Governor Mitch Daniels appointed Brian as Commissioner to lead the state agency responsible for administering property tax reforms. Brian’s duties included issuing budget orders for local governments totaling $6 billion annually and deciding other property-tax issues and disputes.
Beginning in 2013, Brian served as Tax and Fiscal Policy Advisor to Governor Mike Pence. Governor Pence soon promoted Brian to serve as his State Budget Director, making him responsible for stewarding the state’s tax revenues and developing and managing a $30 billion annual state budget. Brian was a member of the Governor’s cabinet and served on the Governor's senior staff.
Professionally, Brian's greatest joy is helping clients navigate the law and take shelter under its protections. Bailey Law LLC was created to put Brian's experience to work for individuals, families, businesses, and nonprofits in achieving their goals.
- Awarded a Sagamore of the Wabash from Governor Pence
- Achieved highest level of reserves in state history at $2.245 billion
- Delivered balanced state budgets every year from FY14 through FY16
- Maintained Indiana's AAA credit rating
- Awarded a Distinguished Service Medal from Governor Daniels
- Judicial Law Clerk to Judge Baker of the Indiana Court of Appeals
- Editor-in-Chief, Indiana Law Journal
- Phi Beta Kappa
INDIANA UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW—BLOOMINGTON
J.D., 2000, cum laude
B.A.,1997, summa cum laude
Activities & Affiliations
- Past Executive Committee Member of National Association of State Budget Officers
- Member and elder of Clearnote Church, Bloomington
- Board of directors of Cedars Christian School, Bloomington
- Speaker at Continuing Legal Education seminars on appellate advocacy and property tax
- Speaker before audiences of various state and local government officials
- Ally, Alliance Defending Freedom
- State of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States